Thomson Reuters Participates in National Fusion Center Training Event
By Tom Palmer, Thomson Reuters
Earlier this month, Fusion Centers from around the USA gathered for their annual training conference in Phoenix, Arizona. This event is a key forum for representatives from designated state and major urban area fusion centers to receive training and technical assistance and exchange best practices to support the implementation of the Critical Operational Capabilities and the Enabling Capabilities (described below). The event supports efforts to further integrate the national network of state and major urban area fusion centers. Several high ranking Federal Government Officials including Director of National Intelligence, James R. Clapper, and Homeland Security Secretary, Janet Napolitano, spoke to the attendees on important initiatives.
The Training Event agenda is developed based upon presentation proposals submitted and event planning committee review/input.
Key themes addressed on the agenda were:
- Training Issues:
- Managing the fusion process
- Managing relationships between law enforcement and homeland security partners
- Analyst skills and tradecraft
- Operational Best Practices and Lessons Learned:
- Critical Operational Capabilities (Receive, Analyze, Disseminate, and Gather)
- Enabling Capabilities (Privacy, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties Protections; Sustainment Strategy; Communications and Outreach; and Security)
- Partnering with multidisciplinary partners (health, fire, tribal, cyber, and critical infrastructure/key resources)
- Fusion center partnerships (e.g., HIDTAs, Fusion Liaison Officer Programs, and RISS Centers)
Thomson Reuters and CLEAR are proud to have been a part of this important week in Phoenix.